Exciting times! New laptop is coming and I get to install the OS for a change. So I had to figure out how to make the old USB stick bootable so that I can install the OS.
- Insert a USB flash drive into a running computer.
- Open a Command Prompt window as an administrator.
- In the new command line window that opens, to determine the USB flash drive number or drive letter, at the command prompt, type
list disk, Note the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.
- At the command prompt, type
select disk #, where # is the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.
clean. This command deletes all data from the USB flash drive.
- To create a new primary partition on the USB flash drive, type
create part pri
- To select the partition that you just created, type
select part 1
- To format the partition, type
format fs=ntfs quick(if you need fat-32 format enter: fs=fat32 )
- When you finish preparing your custom image, save it to the root of the USB flash drive.